Cough and cold are usually self-limiting, and most people recover within 7 to 10 days with proper rest and care. However, certain home remedies for cough and cold can help alleviate symptoms and speed up the recovery process.
Photo by Towfiqu barbhuiya on Pexels.com
Cough and cold are common respiratory illnesses caused by multiple factors. Colds can cause a runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, and sore throat, while coughs can be triggered by many factors including allergies, infections, and smoking. These conditions can be particularly uncomfortable, making it difficult to sleep, eat, and perform daily activities. While there are many over-the-counter medications available to alleviate symptoms, there are also several natural remedies that can be effective in managing cough and cold
Home Remedies for Cough and Cold
- Honey and Ginger Tea: Crush a few slices of fresh ginger and boil them in water for a few minutes. Strain the mixture and add honey to it. Drink this tea 2-3 times a day for relief from cold and cough symptoms.
- Turmeric Milk: Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk. Drink this mixture before bedtime to help alleviate cold and cough symptoms.
- Garlic and Honey: Crush a few cloves of garlic and mix them with honey. Take this mixture 2-3 times a day to help fight off cold and cough symptoms.
- Onion Juice: Grind a medium-sized onion and extract the juice. Mix a teaspoon of honey with the onion juice and consume it twice daily to reduce coughing and throat irritation.
- Carrot Juice: Drink fresh carrot juice mixed with a few drops of lemon juice to help relieve cold and cough symptoms.
- Chicken Soup: Chicken soup has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve symptoms of a cold or flu. It can also help keep you hydrated. To make chicken soup, simmer chicken bones or meat with vegetables like carrots and celery for a few hours. Strain out the solids and serve hot.
- Salt Water Gargle: Gargling with salt water can help soothe a sore throat and reduce inflammation. To make salt water gargle, mix a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle several times a day.
- Eucalyptus Steam: Eucalyptus oil can help relieve congestion and coughing. To use eucalyptus oil, add a few drops to a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam. Cover your head with a towel to trap the steam and breathe deeply.
- Garlic Soup: Garlic has antimicrobial properties that can help fight off infections. To make garlic soup, sauté a few cloves of garlic in olive oil until they are golden brown. Add some chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes and then drink hot.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is known for its immune-boosting properties and can help prevent and treat cold and flu. You can take vitamin C supplements or eat foods high in vitamin C like citrus fruits, kiwi, papaya, and bell peppers.
Whether you prefer natural home remedies or commercially available products, Nafsorb Home Remedies has everything you need to relieve your cough and cold symptoms. Browse our website today to learn more. These remedies can help alleviate the symptoms of cough and cold, but it is important to see a doctor if symptoms persist or worsen.
See more home remedies